Saturday, September 20, 2008

Fall...



I love it when the seasons change. And I love fall. Before I can even see it, or touch it, I can smell, hear, feel and taste it in the air. A few days ago, I had my first hint of it, I adore that moment. I revel in it, embrace it...
When each season changes, it seems to be the beginning and the end of a stage in my life, which I suppose would make sense. In these few days, when the beginnings of a new season rest upon our lives, I think back to this time last year, and often too, years before that. I think back to those days with fondness, love and a good dose of perspective. I wonder too what this years season will bring me, and how I shall look back on it next year.
Little memories are sparked by the smell in the air, little things come to mind that perhaps I may have forgotten otherwise. Sometimes I look back in sadness at a time long gone, in awe that a year has already past since, and wonder where it could have gone so fast.

As I close the doors on summer, put away the sandals and long summer dresses, I look back on this year so far, all its moments and changes, how I have grown and how my life has changed.
In some strange way, there is so much comfort in a new season, knowing that time will tick on regardless if we want it to or not. A constant reassurance that no matter what, nothing ever stays the same.

And as much as I feel a sadness for what is gone, I feel a hope too. I may have mentioned this before, but the past year at least, has owned some of the biggest moments in my life to date. I have had the best, awake, aware, and honest moments, and with it, some of the saddest of my life too. 

So, it is fall. Out of the closets come light jackets, thin scarves, and perhaps a bit of cashmere. Although I have kept my window open all summer, soon it will be time to close it. Duvets will find themselves in need once again and hot cups of tea, coffee and cocoa will be enjoyed in their warmth. The evenings will get darker, streets will glow a yellow orange. People will start to sniffle in these cooler airs, tissues will find their way onto office desks with pride of place. The sun will sparkle through leaves, dancing in the breeze until they float to the ground. We'll be seeing bright orange pumpkins, and pipes will be gurgling hot water soon enough....

But for now, on the brink before the fall....I will enjoy these moments of peace, memory and perspective while the scent in the air is still fresh and new. I will sit on my windowsill and look out onto my courtyard where the trees still hold green leaves, where the sun shines, and the moon glows in clear skies..... and I will smile...




No comments: