Tuesday, February 23, 2010

Architectural & Apartment Insanity!



I've lived in NYC a few years now, and right now I'm living not too far away from the (gorgeous) above 240 Center Street, which was built as the headquarters of the city's police department and designed by Hoppin & Koen in 1909.
I have often wondered what this building is doing these days, but I've never actually gone out of my way to find out (shame on me!). The building itself is really something quite amazing, born out of the "White City" Beaux Arts inspired notion of a beautiful city.
When the new modernistic red brick headquarters opened in 1973, this white masterpiece fell into a limbo of neglect.. it wasn't until 1988 when the building was converted into coop apartments 55-units designed by Charles Gwathmey.
Considered the premier residence of lower Manhattan based on the building and it's apartments, I was excited to finally get a peak inside (especially after finding out they are apts!) when surfing NYC real estate!
So, without further ado, I share with all of you the wonders enclosed in this magnificent and historical building... for the full real estate listing click here. And don't be shocked at the price!! Oh, and to add more juicy interest, I've add floor plans too!! Check these out again here!









No comments: