Wednesday, April 30, 2008

Bristol Memories...



On one typically British damp and overcast afternoon, back in 2004, my friends and I went to visit a field... a field filled with 831 fluorescent light tubes sticking out of the ground! I was still living in Bristol, England, back then when I had heard about Richard Box (a Bristol Installation Artist) and his lights, and I was intrigued enough to trudge up there through the mud to see it all for myself. My friends and I were fortunate enough to meet Richard himself, who was at his caravan with a friend drinking beer in the corner of this, no so typically, British field... Richard told us that every single one of the fluorescent tubes was recycled, and just like your average strip light at work - each one lit up only by the electromagnetic field which surrounds the overhead power lines - and I mean nothing touches the tubes but mud! There really is something magical and slightly scary about it all, but I can tell you from experience, walking in between these lights is nothing like I have ever experienced - out there in the middle of a field at sunset, these tubes glow around me, as I get closer to one it's light fades as my own body absorbs the electricity surrounding it. Crazy and scary to think the electromagnetic field was so strong to do this... So magical to see it....





No comments: